Tomorrow’s Monday Night Meditation will see the conclusion of the round of mantras that have been chanted to Lord Ganesha, and it is with deep gratitude that we offer up our thanks to the Lord of Wisdom and Remover of Obstacles to hearing our chanting. There will then be a two week break before Monday Night Meditations return on 27 August where we will be turning our focus to the Bodhisattva of compassion and action, the Green Tara, one of some 21 aspects of Tara.
Tara is the much-loved Tibetan Buddhist Mother Goddess. she represents all that is and her energy can permeate all things. Tara is worshiped in both mild and wild forms, and exists in a rainbow of colours based on various attributes. The Green and White Tara of the Tibetan Tantric tradition are the most popular forms, with Green Tara seen as her fiercer, most dynamic form.
As Green Tara, she is a Goddess of action, great strength and special protective powers who wards off evil and shields you from spiritual harm. The mythic tale of her origins is that she was born from the tears shed by Avalokiteshvara, the Buddha of compassion, as a gift to end the suffering of all creation. The tears trickling down the left side of the Buddha’s face formed the motherly and mature White Tara, and the salty drops on the right birthed the fearless and young Green Tara.
Some people believe however that she was a human princess who lives a life of total service, compassion and the highest spiritual aspiration, dedicated to serving the Buddhist monks. Because of her path, she earned the right to be reborn in male form and teach the ways of the Buddha. She decided to remain in female form.
Tara is an extremely powerful deity when it comes to handling bad news and high stress situations that may involve perceived danger or threat to your physical or emotional well-being. She is the all-embracing, all-knowing mother savour who takes us in her arms at our hour of greatest need and fees our souls with manna (energy) to help us cope, and get through the physical and emotional reality of a crisis. She represents the ultimate protection and grace of the cosmic mother into whose spiritual arms you can run and rest.
The mantra for Green Tara is Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha which, when translated into English, is something to the effect of “Om! O Tara! I beg of you, O Tara! O swift one!” and when each of the words contained within the mantra are broken down, they mean:
- Om – while some say that Om has no actual conceptual meaning, it can also be reflective of an awareness of the surrounding universe. It is used at the start of many mantras.
- Tare – this is representative of salvation from suffering and other forms of mundane dangers. Tara is very often depicted as being one who can alleviate suffering from accidents, crime, and natural disasters.
- Tuttare is representative of the delivered down the right spiritual path, and the need for protect from dangers to the spirit. Delusion, hatred, and greed are the three primary spiritual dangers that are responsible for suffering in us all.
- Ture – this is representative of the deliverance to the true spiritual path of a bodhisattva. With this syllable, Tara is said to liberate us from the suffering we are inflicted with, while helping us to progress along the path that will allow us to have compassion for others.
- Svaha is said to be representative of “allow the meaning of this mantra to take root in my mind.”
Monday Night Meditations take place most Monday evenings at the Isian Centre of Metaphysics (Parafield Gardens, Adelaide) from 7.30pm to 8.45pm and are suitable for beginners as well as the more experienced meditator. Please text me on 0401 967754 prior to 7.00pm for the address.
**While bringing your own mala is not necessary when attending Monday Night Meditations, a variety of hand knotted malas are available through LunaNoire Creations etsy store. You can also order your own specific design from a variety of AA+ graded crystal beads (8mm diametre) and rudraksha seeds that will be strung on cotton thread specifically imported for mala making. Such orders can be made through LunaNoire Creations etsy store.