In only three week’s time, the new year will be upon us. About 50% of us will mark this time by bolding stating things they wish to achieve during the next 12 month cycle – lose weight, increase exercise, eat healthier, stop smoking, and being better at managing money are some of the top resolutions. Yet by the time February comes around, it is not uncommon for the old habits to start emerging again as enthusiasm pitters out.
There are a number of reasons why New Year’s resolutions fail, one of the more straightforward reasons is that resolutions often are not things that you are 110% committed to. Timothy Pychyl, a professor of psychology at Carleton University in Canadr, says that resolutions are a form of “cultural procrastination“, an effort to reinvent oneself. People make resolutions as a way of motivating themselves yet are not actually ready to change their habits. Dr Avya Sharma of the Canadian Obsesity Network points out that people also tend to set unrealistic goals and expectations in their resolutions.
“False Hope Syndrome” is a term that psychology professor Peter Herman coined when people make significantly unrealistic resolutions that are out of alignment with their internal view of themselves. Basically put, when you make positive affirmations about yourself that you do not really believe, then the positive affirmations not only do not work, they may also damage your self worth.
There are ways to make your New Year’s resolutions work and that is by changing behaviours. In order to change a behaviour, you have to change your thinking (or “rewire” your brain) and create new neural pathways. This is where the Isian Centre of Metaphysics can assist.
We offer a number of Life Improvement Packages that are specifically designed for ensuring that the positive changes you wish to make in your life are not only achievable but that you also have the correct “tools” to ensure your continual success. These packages include freeing yourself from anxiety, overcoming phobias, cease smoking, transforming dreams into reality (goal setting), releasing limitations, and creating a brighter future.
When making resolutions or life changes, there are a number of tips that will ensure your success, some of which are:
- Focus on one realistic resolution at a time that has a specific goal. “Losing weight” is not a specific goal. Losing 10 kilos in 90 days is.
- Take small steps. There are many ways up the mountain and they all begin with the first step. If the end goal appears too daunting, then mark your journey with milestones and celebrate your continuing success.
- Focus on the present. What is the one thing you can do today, right now, towards your goal?
- Focus your thinking on new behaviours and thought patterns. You have to create new neural pathways in your brain to change habits.
- Be mindful. Become physically, emotionally and mentally aware of your inner state as each external event happens, moment-by-moment, rather than living in the past or future.
- Have an accountability buddy, someone close to you to whom you have to report.
- Do not wait until New Year’s eve to make resolutions. Do something every day that will enhance your life.
- Have fun. If you have a hiccup, have a laugh and then refocus on working towards your goal.
If you would like to find out more about our Life Improvement Packages then contact us today for more information or a free chat: